Rebuilding Families

Child Support: What You Need To Know

Your child has a right to be supported by both of his or her parents. And, as the custodial parent, you should get help with the day-to-day expenses of raising your child. At The Hibler Law Firm, attorney Patricia Hibler helps parents throughout Texas get the support they need to provide for their child.

Making Sure Your Children Are Financially Secure

If your ex-spouse or the parent of your child is not meeting his or her child support obligations, Ms. Hibler can help enforce payment. By filing and serving him or her with legal papers, The Hibler Law Firm can make sure the delinquent parent knows the consequences of failing to support his or her child. Some methods of collection include:

  • Garnishing wages
  • Seizing property
  • Withholding federal tax refunds
  • Suspending a driver’s license or an occupational or business license
  • Denying passport issuance

If the methods listed above do not force payment, the delinquent parent may be held in contempt of court and face possible jail time. Child support payments that are in arrears, or “past due,” are still collectible under Texas law. Even if your child has reached the age of 18, back child support owed to you can be collected. In addition to the original payment due, your child also is entitled to interest on those payments. Interest on back child support starts the date the payment was originally due and accrues until the payment is made.

To Discuss Your Case, Call Today

Your child has the right to be financially supported by both parents. At The Hibler Law Firm,  Ms. Hibler works hard to help her clients collect the back child support they are owed. Call 713-581-8297 to speak with Houston-based family law attorney Patricia Hibler or contact the firm online today for help getting the support you need to provide for your child.